It is a truth universally acknowledged that a UEA student must want to complete the Five Ls. Putting my literary crimes aside, the Five Ls are something which should perhaps be addressed. For those who are unaware, the Five Ls are the five locations on campus that, if you’re a ‘proper’ UEA student, you must have sex – the Lake, the Library, the LCR, the Lecture theatre and, worryingly, the Launderette.

Are the Five Ls a myth? A thing of legend, designed to instil awe and, maybe, reverence into the unknowing fresher? What is for sure is that they are bloody ridiculous. If at any point you feel as though you’re missing out because you’re lacking one of the Five Ls, you may need to rethink your priorities.

This brings up a serious issue, is sex ingrained in young adult life? In so much as, do we think that we need to have sex because it’s something that ‘young people do’? Although I doubt that anyone is going to be jealous of a friend bragging about their progress through the Five Ls, is there the chance that bragging about them might cause some to worry that they’re not enjoying student life? This seems highly unlikely. I mean, who in their right mind is going to brag about getting lucky in the laundrette, for crying out loud?

If they are truly something you aspire to, then good luck to you! The issue that is of more importance here is the possibility of social pressures, such as these, skewing the perception of the importance of sex in young adult social lives. It is both less important and more important than one might first believe; despite what certain areas of the media claim, sex is not the only thing that people our age get up to. At the same time, it is very important, as it is not something to be considered lightly. Sex is very emotional and intimate.

What is ultimately vital is that you are comfortable wherever, and with whomever, you have sex.