A pub in the West Earlham area is set to be converted into student accommodation that will hold 38 bedrooms.

The Freed Man has been out of business since June 2015, yet the plans to renovate the building have not gone unnoticed.

The conversion announcement follows a string of pub closures around the Earlham area, including the likes of The Larkman and The Good Companions which were replaced by an Aldi and the Earlham Christian Centre respectively.

Local campaigners, including the voluntary organisation Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), have stated their intent to oppose the new building plans. Neil Bowers, Camra’s pub protection officer said that he was looking to submit an Asset of Community Value (ACV) application. Declaring a building as an ACV would give those opposing the conversion six months to buy the property and prevent it from being developed.

The pub, which was built in the 1950s, would be redesigned to reflect UEA’s current architectural outlook. Current structural plans include a common room and flats divided into a kitchen and a living area with seven bedrooms.

The pub on St Mildreds Road is approximately one mile from the university campus. In consideration of the short distance, developers Estateducation have said they do not plan on including space for cars.