Regardless of language, if a song is carried out well it can become a work of art that anyone can enjoy. Personally, I’ve always thought the popular music nowadays in the UK lacks diversity, mainly in the sense that English seems to be the only language in the mainstream. If one was to travel across the waters to France or even onwards onto Belgium, they would be shocked at the sheer amount of languages that are played on national radio. French, Dutch, Spanish and German adorn the airwaves, creating a cultural landscape that is diverse and enriching. There as so many beautiful languages in the world yet we almost blind to it. Here a just some:

Kimi Wo Nosete- Azumi Inoue

In what has possibly the greatest instrumental introduction to a song ever, this masterpiece combines Inoue’s incredibly voice talent and Hayao Miyazaki’s lyrics. As the ending song for studio Ghibli’s Laputa: Castle in the Sky, it is simply a musical embodiment of perfection.

The Prayer of François Villon [Molitva]- Regina Spektor

The immensely talented Regina Spector’s cover of Bulat Okudzhava’s Russian poem of the same name is incredibly effective in conveying emotion. François Villon was a French poet, thief and killer and the song chronicles his lament over his alleged crimes. Spektor uses only Russian vocals and a lone piano in this hauntingly beautiful song.

Mutter- Rammstein

Rammstein’s Mutter is the definition of a lamenting tale of woe which is instantly felt despite being in German. The repetition of Mutter, or Mother in its English translation, and a combination of guitars and strings conveys a sense of desolation and despair.

Suna No Oshiro – Kanon Wakeshima

Translated as Sand Castles, Wakeshima’s haunting vocals and dark cello accompaniment is a brilliant example of neoclassical dark wave and demonstrates the beauty of the Japanese language.