A former UEA pharmacy student has pleaded guilty to six counts of voyeurism between 2013 and January 2016, including incidents in the UEA library and UEA accommodation.

22-year-old Luke Mallaband admitted the offences at a plea hearing in which the court heard that the filming of students on campus has been “going on for a number of years.”

According to Josephine Jones, prosecuting, a woman using a library toilet on 19th January this year found a “white plastic bag on the floor which appeared to have a hole in one corner”. “Inside the box, she found an iPhone 6 which was recording.” She went to the help desk and reported the incident. Mallaband also went to the desk promising to delete the files.

Police were informed following January’s incident and Mallaband was arrested at a Norwich property. A number of personal items were seized, including a mobile phone and a laptop. A total of 38 iPhone videos were found following police examination. These included a video of a woman showering at a Norwich property in October 2015, as well as footage from UEA campus and Mary Chapman Court accommodation.

The defendant was formerly in a relationship with one of the women found on the recordings, however, she was never aware she was being filmed.

Following the reports to the police, Mallaband, who now lives in Walsall, withdrew from his course and has since been permanently excluded from campus.

A joint statement from the university and the student’s union said that “the university puts the safety of its staff, students, and visitors first and cases such as this are extremely rare. These are the criminal actions of one individual, acting alone, and are no reflection on UEA’s secure and welcoming campus environment. The university and the students’ union work in partnership to ensure a safe and respectful environment for all campus users and we condemn this behaviour in the strongest terms. We acted promptly and decisively as soon as these allegations came to light and worked very closely with the police on the investigation.”

The case has been adjourned until November 24th for sentencing.