As a local boy I think I am well placed to showcase the delights of my home county.  Although it feels that Norfolk is the land of the forgotten, it is well worth an explore during your time at UEA.  If you have a car then the possibilities of exploring quaint market towns, such as Holt, Burnham Market and Beccles is endless, but I am going to focus my attention on the places that public transport makes easily accessible.

Perhaps the best known attraction is the North Norfolk coast. Take a boat trip out to Blakeney Point to see one of Britain’s best viewing sites for seals, or move west up the coast and you’ll find the sand dunes, pine trees and enormous expanses of sand that make up the beaches around Holkham.   Cromer is a well-known seaside town with train and bus links to Norwich.  The pier and arcade are always enjoyable with an ice cream, and the infamous summer carnival is well worth a trip to.  If you head east around the coast you come to a series of quieter villages and beaches which are reachable by the Coasthopper bus service from Cromer.  Here you will find tucked away little gems with high cliffs and empty expanses of golden sands.

There is of course the Norfolk Broads, miles of inland waterways with an abundance of wildlife. Why not take a group of mates and rent a motor boat or canoe for a day out?  Towns like Wroxham have good transport links to Norwich, and are perfect places to hire a vessel.

If you like your history then you would be amiss to not see the county’s attractions.  Norwich was England’s second city in the time of William the Conqueror, and has a historic Norman Castle and Cathedral, both of which are just a ten-minute bus ride away from campus.  The countryside is dotted with stately homes, such as Blickling and Houghton Hall, all of which have extensive woodland and parks attached providing a more genteel (and potentially cheap) break from student life.

For a faster-paced environment try exploring Norwich, or the seaside town of Great Yarmouth famed for its pleasure beach, pier, and its healthy night life.  Norwich has an amazing food and drink scene with independent restaurants and bars offering cuisines from around the world, and your UEA experience is not complete without a trip down Prince of Wales Road on a Saturday night.