A former UEA lecturer has been sentenced to three years and six months in prison for possessing indecent images of children.

Julian Myerscough, 55, who used to teach criminal law, was convicted in his absence in Chelmsford Crown Court. Two years ago, he had been sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court but prior to the jury returning the verdict, Myerscough had fled to Ireland. The Republic has yet to successfully send him back.

As well as 13 charges of possessing indecent images to his name, he was also found guilty of thrice breaching the Sexual Offences Prevention Order that had been placed on him since his first conviction in 2010, when he lost his UEA position. The order permitted authorities to track his computer activities, although it was alleged Myerscough used software to hide his browsing history. The latest ruling has since barred him from this software.

Although the Ipswich verdict was presented in September 2015, the hefty number of appeals he submitted since his detainment by Irish police meant his deportation has been delayed for two years. Last month, the Dublin High Court ruled Myerscough had spent enough time in custody and further time would be unlawful, and he was released. The judge who presided over Myerscough’s initial Ipswich trial Emma Peters, claimed his time in custody should not necessarily be deducted from his sentence, and sentenced him in his absence. He has been placed on the sexual offenderís register for life.

Detective Sergeant Simon Fitch, from the Protecting Vulnerable People Directorate, stated Myerscough has “done everything possible to challenge, frustrate and delay” attempts to deport him back to England and while “Myerscough may currently be living as a free manî  he is ìconfident justice will catch-up with him eventually and we will continue our efforts to return him to the United Kingdom”.