Propped up by the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), Theresa May is a leader more shameless than a public exhibitionist. The frontbenchers are like wolves at the door of number 10, and backbenchers hold opinions so wildly different to each other they might as well be from seven different parties. The question is, what’s next?

Despite the Tories’ and parliament’s waning confidence in Theresa May as leader, she’s still in power. Whilst countries like the US or France have formal constitutions (at least of sorts) off which they can base their operations, the UK has no written constitution and acts almost entirely off of convention.

Now, if Theresa May was a regular politician who had any level of shame built into her, she would perhaps be willing to resign (as is convention). Yet Theresa May is not a regular politician; she’s a cockroach living in the nuclear wasteland that is Brexit politics, surviving every blow in the most inexplicable ways possible.

If we’re aiming for a way out of the mess that is Brexit, the answer is a general election. A second referendum will likely face nothing but criticism, and considering it would probably take over five months to arrange, the EU would have to give an extension to Article 50. Then there’s a question of what would even be on the referendum. Leave with no deal, leave with a deal, remain, join the EEA…

It’s a complicated mess of options, and another referendum would create as many controversies as it solves; and while I would like to see a referendum, it’s not a viable solution.

A general election is the only way to solve the political gridlock the country is currently in. Either the Tories receive a majority, allowing the government to actually be in power, or people give power to some sort of coalition of parties such as Labour and the SNP, or Labour and the Lib Dems. The latter may allow movement towards some sort of actual conclusion – hopefully remaining in the EU.

I’m not saying a general election will save Brexit. Jeremy Corbyn still believes Brexit is the way to go, despite his party not agreeing with him. But with a general election Parliament will break out of the current gridlock and how the government should act would become clearer.

Whatever happens, the British people will be able to feel they’ve had a say. It will be separate to the referendum politics, separate to BoJo standing on a bus like a low-rent out-of-shape Olympian, separate to every lie, falsehood, and general bit of rubbish we’ve been told over the past two years. We might actually have a chance to feel like we were part of this nation’s future. There is nothing more valuable than that.