Sport Senior Reporter Meyzi Adoni chatted to members of UEA’s clubs to find out the benefits of taking up a sport at uni…

For the past couple of weeks, I had a chance to talk with different people from various UEA sports clubs. As a person who grew up playing Tennis and Basketball, I know the feeling of being attached to a sport that makes you feel strong and happy. While doing these interviews, seeing everyone’s love and enthusiasm for the sports made me realise that being a part of a group of people who share the same love for sports is an exceptional and once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Doing sport makes you feel more active and healthy.

It is possible to read these kind of sentences (or facts, if you prefer to call them that) everywhere. The things I want to talk about are more personal and emotional subjects. Travelling to different cities each week, getting ready for Derby Day and training for more than three times a week can be challenging, but these things help people change in a positive way, be more disciplined and also it allows them to have a very special bond with their teammates.

I played Tennis for seven years and Basketball for three and I still think that the friendships I gained in tournaments, practices and camps are very precious. And I feel like it is important to show and tell these experiences and values to other people. So, I asked people from different UEA sports teams about their experiences and feelings in being a part of a team.

I asked Forhad Khan, a committee member of UEA Lacrosse, how being a part of the club for the past two years affected his university life. He said, ‘I’m happy that I joined a sports team. I joined the club as I wanted to experience something different as I hadn’t really heard about Lacrosse before university.

‘In my first year, everyone was really welcoming and it’s a good way to meet new people and make new friends. Plus it makes Sports Night a lot better when going with a win!

‘How does Lacrosse affect me? Well it’s one way to try and keep fit while at university. I don’t see Lacrosse as a team but more as a family! I have had two fun years being part of the club and would highly recommend joining. It’s been a great experience.’

UEA Dance squad choreographer and committee member Camille Verrier told me that ‘joining dance has positively broadened my horizons in meeting new people and friends I never would have just with my course. Since it’s a sport and an art it’s a great way to stay fit and you feel like you’re actually producing something great.’

These sentiments are one of the main reasons why I love talking to different sports clubs each week. Their dedication, admiration and the way they see and feel about their teammates are worth mentioning. And I genuinely hope that it also encourages other students to try new things. It doesn’t have to be something sports related.

But once you find something you love and care about deeply, it makes you feel better and it also helps you grow as a person.