Located in the heart of Norwich’s beautiful Lanes, The Tipsy Vegan is one of this city’s best Veggie eateries, offering a delicious range of cocktails and food for brunch, tapas and dinner.

It was opened in May of last year as a sister to the famous Vegan Diner in Norwich Market and is still a hidden gem in Norwich’s independent restaurant scene. Veganism is often associated with the bland flavours and dry textures of spinach and gluten-free toast, but The Tipsy Vegan’s menu is full of flavour, offering a fresh take on the comfort food classics we all love and recognise, such as fish and chips and barbeque ribs.

Co-owner Michelle McCabe told the Eastern Daily Press, “We’ve spent a huge amount of time experimenting to find delicious substitutes to animal-based products. We’ve found some pretty exiting combinations of ingredients that work particularly well in classic casual dining, the dishes vegans usually can’t indulge in.”

It is usually difficult to find a worthy plant-based substitute for cod, but The Tipsy Vegan pulled it off by frying a sheet of tofu wrapped in nori, which created a shockingly fish-like flavour. The texture was, of course, a little different to the flakiness you usually expect, but the crispy batter made up for it, which is rare to find in vegan restaurants.

I would also recommend the steak sandwich to any meat-lovers, as the seitan makes an excellent protein substitute with a very meaty taste and texture. The chips are cut thick and hearty and are a great pairing with both dishes. The prices range from £8-10 for mains, which is reasonable considering the quality of the food and the generous portion sizes.

I would recommend it to everyone, including first-time vegan-dabblers as well as long-term plant-based eaters, as the menu offers something for all tastes