After its appearance on numerous S/S15 catwalks last year, gingham is set to be huge. The lighter colours and smaller print of gingham makes it tartan’s cuter sister and therefore perfect for spring. Once you’ve stopped reminiscing over primary school days, you’ll see it is ideal for a night out and can look just as sophisticated and stylish as any block colour. With the likes of Oscar de la Renta and Diane Von Furstenberg featuring it on many of their designs, Venue takes a look at the best ways to incorporate it into your wardrobe.

Monochrome gingham is probably the easiest to wear, as stylish black and white outfits will always be in vogue, and DVF showed us how on their S/S catwalk. They combined monochrome gingham with sheer fabrics for a new take on the picnic print. A simple shift dress is a really easy way of working gingham into your wardrobe, and when paired with skyscraper heels will ensure you look glam and fashionable whilst nailing the 60s trend too. Monochrome is also the easiest to find on the high street and will almost certainly go with everything in your wardrobe already! A monochrome pencil skirt is great for a night out, and would look fab with a slinky back cami and a coat of red lippy. A skinny pair of trousers is also a cute nod to the trend, especially when teamed with a black roll-neck jumper for an Audrey Hepburn-esque look. Red lipstick and winged eyeliner are great partners to these looks, especially if you want to create a cute 50s vibe. If you’re after something a little more casual however, a gingham shirt is the easiest way of introducing the trend into your wardrobe. Whether you go for oversized, sheer, or cropped, these can be worn with anything, from jeans to skirts and everything in between. An oversized shirt is a perfect choice for a lecture, and paired with black skinnies and a leather jacket will keep you looking cosy and chic throughout the day. Co-ords are also a fab way of wearing this trend, as when worn together they create a striking impact, but they can also be worn as separates for a more subtle, toned down look for daywear too.

However, if you really want to keep up with the fashion pack, then coloured gingham is the answer. Yes, it might remind you of a picnic blanket, but with the right accessories you can look grown-up and glamorous. We know that not everyone has the budget of a designer catwalk, so it’s best to simply take inspiration from these looks and try and replicate them on the High Street. Again, we look to DVF and also Michael Kors, who used separates to perfection. A midi skirt is a great example as it can be either dressed up or down, depending on how comfortable you are. It would look gorgeous in the square on a sunny spring day with a pair of white sandals and a white crop top, perfect for nailing not only the gingham trend, but the pastel one too! Many designers have been clashing colours by pairing monochrome with pastels. This would be a great alternative to a simple LBD and will look super cute paired with white accessories for a refreshing spring look.

If you’re unsure about gingham dresses, trousers, or shirts, then accessories with the print are a great alternative. ASOS have a great range of sunglasses in gingham print which would give any look a stylish, retro update, and keep an eye out for gingham-printed clutch bags or handbags for a really easy way to join in the trend.

Photographer: Hugo Douglas-Deane
Stylist: Gemma Carter
Model: Heidi Garcia