Lewis Hamilton achieved his first Mercedes win in Hungary. He fought off strong competition from Sebastian Vettel’s Red Bull in both qualifying and the race to take his fourth victory at the Hungaroring.

tt_image_749282

Photo: Orange

Hamilton started from pole after a surprise fast lap knocked Vettel off the top spot. The Brit was looking for his first win of the season whilst Vettel was aiming for his first ever win at the track.

Hamilton started the race well with Lotus’ Romain Grosjean hot on his heels from the offset and, despite moving up and down in position, it looked clear that the Brit could seal the win.

Pit stops were of paramount importance as the new medium compound Pirelli tyres didn’t seem to be able to stand the heat. With the pit lane speed brought down to 80km/h, after Mark Webber’s loose wheel collided with a cameraman in Germany, strategy was key.

McLaren have always fared well in Hungary and did well to finish with both drivers in the points. A clash between Jenson Button and Grosjean left the Frenchman with a 20 second time penalty, although it did not affect his overall positioning. A later collision with Felipe Massa left him penalised with a drive through penalty, which Massa later said he felt was wrong.

Following Hamilton to the podium were Kimi Raikkonen’s Lotus and Vettel, whilst Fernando Alonso only claimed fifth for Ferrari. Raikkonen and Alonso were then unable to close down the standings gap as Vettel still leads by 38 points, although only one point separates second and third.

With Britain currently basking in a variety of sporting success, from the Lions and the Ashes to Andy Murray and Chris Froome, Hamilton added to the nation’s joy, confirming that Formula One doesn’t have to just be all about Vettel.

Formula One now takes a month long break before it returns in Spa, Belgium at the end of August.