Sending and receiving unsolicited sexual images is becoming more and more reported in the media. Reportedly, ABC News said millions of women openly complain about receiving explicit photos from all social media platform and dating websites.

According to Concrete’s survey, 34.9% of UEA students have received unsolicited sexual pictures and messages when using a dating app, like Tinder or eHarmony.

In 2016, an online petition on Facebook urged users from sending indecent content, with almost 20,000 signatures.

Social media giants, Facebook and Twitter both prohibit people from distributing inappropriate messages. Twitter counts it as harassment and advises users on how to mute, block and report sensitive content, while Facebookís Community Standards prevent both harassment and nudity.

The Facebook spokesperson said: “Photographs of people displaying their genitals violate our community standards.

We encourage people to use the reporting links on our site and within Messenger to report content so we can review and take action against content that violates”.

According to British law, it is a crime to possess, take, make, distribute or show anyone an indecent image of a child or young person under the age of 18.

Harassment or blackmail are offenses also taken into consideration when users violate the media laws implemented by sending unsolicited sexual images.