Fashion

In fashion, we have seen the return of big sleeves – bell sleeves, flared sleeves, whatever you want to call them- which have been everywhere this year, and offer an easy way to inject some 70s flair into your everyday wardrobe. (That is, if you can look past how impractical they are for doing your washing up!)

Another trend that has landed on the highstreet everywhere from Topshop to Primark, is embroidery. Embroidered flowers and patches can make for the perfect statement piece when paired with neutral basics. For embroidered shirts, nowhere does them better than Zara and for adorable embroidered ankle boots and floral skirts try Topshop or Primark, depending on your price range. If you think dressing practically means sacrificing on style, think again. In the past year, the growing trend for statement coats has opened up an array of options to consider for your annual winter coat splurge. Be brave and go for bright colours, faux fur, or try out an undeniably cosy teddy bear coat.

Beauty

2017 has also been a big year for beauty, with major progress being made towards greater inclusivity in beauty. This is led by brands like Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty, who offer an impressive 40 foundation shades to suit all skin tones, a move which has been a long time coming, and looks set to continue into 2018 and beyond. As for brows, it comes as no surprise that brands like Benefit and Glossier have focused on brow products, tapping into the trend for bold, immaculate brow mascaras and gels like Glossier’s ‘Boy Brow’ have made this look much easier to achieve for those of us who can only dream of owning the illustrious Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade.

Skincare

In keeping with this move towards a more simplified beauty regime, trends have emphasized minimal skin care routines that aim to create a dewy, healthy glow. Brands like Pixi have gained a cult following for products like their Glow Tonic and The Ordinary have gained attention for offering, alongside their bestselling budget foundations, moisturisers, serums and oils in minimal packaging without any fuss or added ingredients. Let’s hope this move towards timesaving beauty regimes and practical products continues into 2018, as it goes without saying that we could all do with gaining a few extra minutes in bed!