Captain Dan Mcmahon’s hockey third team extended their 100 percent league run last Saturday, beating Norwich Exiles’ first XI 5-2 in front of a healthy crowd at the Sportspark. Exiles were UEA’s closest rivals at the top of the table, coming into the match also unbeaten, but a superb attacking performance from Mcmahon put them to the sword.

Charlie Armitage, George Anderson, Matthew Wavish and Josh Rollason joined Mcmahon among the goals, while goalkeeper Jamie Hare also made several important saves at key moments including an acrobatic effort with his outstretched stick to keep out a shot seemingly destined for the top corner.

Mcmahon reflected: ‘It was the hardest game of our season so far, and the crowds came out to support us. When the pressure was at its highest my boys performed and secured another big 3 points.’

Meanwhile, the firsts maintained their own winning start to the season with a 3-2 victory over Newmarket, on a historic day for the club in which all four men’s teams recorded wins.

The BUCS side added to UEA Hockey’s celebrations, winning 3-1 away at Oxford Brookes last week to overtake their hosts and go top of the Midlands 3B league.

UEA women’s BUCS team are also joint-top of their league with a perfect record of four wins from four after beating Coventry 4-0 away.