Founded by Scottish entrepreneur Charlie MacGregor, in Amsterdam, The Student Hotel prides itself in being a unique fusion of a hotel chain and student halls which aims to “create boundary-blurring spaces where students, travellers, mobile professionals, creative nomads and enterprising minds can connect and thrive.” The hotel offers a variety of accommodation options from short stays to yearlong residences to suit both university students and tourists.

Whilst the student accommodation offered may not be the most cost efficient of options, its appeal to students from across the world looking for accommodation that feels safe but still provides the full student experience is clear to see, as the hotels are all equipped with student essentials like free wifi, laundrettes, gyms, and study spaces, and host regular events aimed specifically at students, from yoga clinics and networking events to hangover brunches.

Having stayed at The Student Hotel Amsterdam City West whilst visiting Amsterdam with friends for a few days over the summer, I can say for sure that The Student Hotel more than lives up to its claim to offer guests “a fun, friendly, come-as-you are atmosphere”. The hotel has the kind of hipster vibe that you would expect from an up and coming location in Amsterdam – think neon signs, spooky corridors that change colour as you enter them, fun artwork, photo booths and free ice lollies on arrival and you will get a feel for the hotel.

Couple these quirky details with an affordable price for accommodation located right next to the Wibautstraat Metro station which takes you into the centre of Amsterdam from the hotel within 10-15 minutes and you can see why these concept hotels are increasing in popularity.

The hotel rooms, whilst basic, have all the essentials as well and the freebies and elements of student dorm inspired decor inside make for a hotel stay that is a refreshing change from the impersonal interiors of some hotel chains. Anything the rooms do lack is more than made up for by the open social areas on the ground floor of the hotel which consist of comfy sofas, a TED talk room, cocktail bar and restaurant, study spaces and my personal favourite, free table tennis tables.

If you’re anything like me, by the end of your stay you will have convinced yourself that you are the next table tennis pro!