While characteristics such as narcissistic, misanthropic and  bitter might lead your mind to conjure up another famous figure, we are indeed referring to everyone’s beloved sarcastic, sociopathic surgeon, Dr Gregory House – not the melted orange wax work.

Although House (Hugh Laurie) often earned the ire of all who worked under him, above him, or even those who worked in Oncology – sorry Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard) – he still managed to worm his way into our hearts. And we are not talking about tapeworms. House’s methods were ultimately highly unconventional, sometimes illegal and almost always insensitive, but they worked and that is what really made him a rather excellent doctor, even if he was, well, a dick. But boy, oh boy, were his cases entertaining.

Carrying him along throughout the series was his team, starting with the originals: Cameron (Jennifer Morrison), Chase (Jesse Spencer) and Foreman (Omar Epps), alongside Wilson and Cuddy, then continuing with season-four-middlers Taub, Kutner and Thirteen (Olivia Wilde); and finishing with the end-of-the-roaders Adams  and Park, with a spot of Martha Masters. All of them completely wacky and possessing some seriously mind-blowing storylines (looking at you, Amber).

House may have taught us many things, like – do not crash your car into your boss’s living room, your best friend will hate you (temporarily) if you indirectly kill his girlfriend, drug addiction is not cool, do not stick your unwanted knife in a plug socket (also a great metaphor) and always decorate your cane with bad-ass flames. But if one will forever stick out in our mind until the end of time it will be the resounding conclusion that it is never lupus. Except that one time when it is.

Ultimately, House is eight seasons of pure railroad medical fun that is both thought-provoking and enjoyable.