Awards season has well and truly descended upon us; the rich and famous are out in storm, dressed in their best designer suits and gowns, honouring the critically acclaimed films of the year. While some of the awards this year seem to have fairly predictable outcomes, others are proving to be a fairly open contest. Considering first one of the more preidcatble outcomes, most critics are of the consensus that Leonardo DiCaprio will finally cinch the Leading Actor award at the Oscars this year for his role in The Revenant, following his gruelling commitment to the film, and his recent success at the Golden Globes.

In terms of the BAFTAs, the academy is notorious for following the road less travelled in terms of their winners. Therefore it will likely prove to be a close call between Leo, and Eddie Redmayne’s performance in The Danish Girl.

In contrast, the Best Leading Actress competition seems fairly open, with standout performances from all the women in the categories this year. Brie Larson ws the winner at the Golden Globes for her nuanced performance in Room; however it would be great to see a win for Charlotte Rampling for her role in 45 Years, just to show you don’t have to be under the age of forty to win. Jennifer Lawrence is obviously an awards season favourite, with her performance in Joy being her fourth Academy Award nomination. Having said this, it seems unlikely that this will be her year. For the supporting performances, the race is also fairly well matched. Idris Elba’s performance in Beasts of No Nation has been snubbed by the Academy Awards, but definitely has a fighting chance at the BAFTAs.

For the Academy Awards, it would not be unlikely to find a toss up between Christian Bale in The Big Short and Tom Hardy in The Revenant. In terms of supporting actress, the Academy have tactically deemed Alicia Vikander a supporting performance in The Danish Girl, giving her a better chance, however, Rooney Mara is also a credible opponent. Finally, Best Film seems to be going to The Revenant and Best Director to Alejandro G. Iñárritu, though the efforts of Adam McKay for The Big Short and Ridley Scott for The Martian are also worth considering. For the BAFTA’s Outstanding British Film, It would be surprising if The Danish Girl didn’t receive the accolade, however Ex-Machina would definitely be their main source of competition. 2016 seems to undeniably be the year for The Revenant, and an Oscar for Leo has definitely been years in the making. Given that he has been nominated so many times, the Dolby Theatre will be on their feet for the man.