By far the most striking thing about Orwell is how it feels a hair away from reality: the sleek, minamalist style of the game really does make you feel like you could be using software developed by a company like Apple. This helps to sell the game’s unsettling premise – what amounts to a more extreme version of the Snoopers’ Charter allows a fictional government to spy on its citizens.

You are under the employ of said government, and your particularly nasty job is to extrapolate information from the members of a suspected terrorist group via their emails, phone calls, and personal messages. What separates Orwell from games which share a similar premise is the amount of freedom you’re allowed as a player. You choose what statements to upload, devoid of context, to your superior. You can frame an innocent person by twisting their words against them, or cause catastrophe by accidentally passing on false information.

The knock-on effect of your actions is also something special to behold; your choices genuinely matter, and your mistakes can very easily come back to haunt you. Variety in paths and possibilities means that, what is initially quite a short experience, has plenty of replayability.