UEA continues to grace the upper end of the league tables by seizing the 20th spot in the Complete University Guide.

Zigs

Photo: Ga Chun Yau

This is the first time the university has entered the top 20 in this national assessment, marking the hugest leap in rankings for the institution.

UEA is also listed in 31 of 67 individual subject tables, where only leading institutions in the respective areas are included. Three subjects taught in UEA are placed in the top ten nationally: American Studies, Communications and Media Studies, as well as Pharmacology and Pharmacy.

The league table is decided by assessing 124 UK universities in nine key areas, such as entry standards, student satisfaction, graduate prospects, research assessment and spending on academic services.

Pro-vice chancellor for research, Prof David Richardson said: “We have been high in the rankings for a number of years, but to rise by seven places into the top 20 demonstrates the ongoing commitment to improvement in our 50th anniversary year and is testament to the hard work and commitment of everyone at UEA, from academic to support staff and our students.”

He added that this can “only strengthen our reputation as a top class university offering the very best for our students and staff”.

UEA is also 90th in the world and 14th in the UK for research excellence, according to the CWTS Leiden Ranking 2013.

The Leiden Ranking, which adopts a more transparent and advanced way of determining scientific impact and involvement in collaborations, measures the scientific performance of 500 major universities worldwide through citations in research publications.

Publications by UEA were most cited in the fields of Social Science and Humanities in the UK.

“The Leiden Ranking reflects our considerable investment in this area and illustrates the phenomenal impact and international reach of UEA research,” said Richardson.