If you aren’t local, the idea of visiting London can be daunting; there’s so much to see and do, it is difficult to know where to start. Obviously, people with different interests will want to explore different things, but there are a few sights, activities, and places that I would recommend to anyone planning a visit.

1- Tower of London

The Tower of London holds some of Britain’s darkest history, but you can also see an exhibit on the crown jewels – including the world’s biggest diamond – and be taken on a tour by the Beefeaters that guard it.

2- The Natural History Museum

The Natural History Museum is possibly my favourite place of all time. Although it’s not quite as exciting as some of the other museums around London (I’d also recommend the British Museum or the Science Museum), it is a beautiful place to be, and the displays are incredible: especially the animatronic dinosaur and floating blue whale.

3- London Eye

If you’re looking to see all the sights that London has to offer, or even just to learn a little about its geography, The London Eye is an excellent way to get a good understanding of the area, and some great skyline photos.

4- Covent Garden

Most of the markets around London are pretty great, but personally I don’t think you can beat Covent Garden. It always has a great atmosphere and some of the street performers are astounding. It’s a great place to roam, shop, or grab a bite to eat.

5- Trafalgar Square

It might be an obvious choice, but Trafalgar Square is a great place to snap those important London pics without going too far or trying too hard. It’s central to just about everything and is a great place to sit down and watch the hustle and bustle.

6- Buckingham Palace

Although the British royal family spend much of the year here, in the summer Buckingham Palace gets opened up to the public for tours. During the colder months, there are plenty of other royal households to visit in and around London.

7- Shakespeare’s Globe

Even if you aren’t a big fan of the man himself, I would recommend taking a look at the time capsule that is the Globe Theatre. Between big buildings of glass lies this

rather small construction, which always looks fresh out of a period drama. Tickets for shows and tours are available all-year-round in various languages.

8- The London Dungeons

So not the most stereotypically ‘London’ attraction, but the dungeons are a great laugh. They cover some of the most gruesome parts of London’s history, turning them into something playful and at times, quite scary. Just bear in mind that there might be some audience participation going on!

9- Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

The area that once held the 2012 Olympic games is now full of parkland, cafés, and a wide range of events – check out their itinerary online to see what’s going on! They’ve also installed a giant slide down the Orbital, and if that’s not your thing, Westfield Shopping Centre is right on the doorstep.

10- Harrods

London itself isn’t too awful a city to navigate, especially with the invention of Google Maps. If you are looking for somewhere to get lost, I recommend Harrods. They have a department for almost everything; vI hear their afternoon tea is impeccable too!