2018 was a difficult year for most, but 2019 seems to be a year we can look forward to. Last year, the world of entertainment saw positive representation of minority communities in cinema, with films such as Love, Simon and Black Panther. 2019 promises more of the same. With new seasons from The Good Place, Stranger Things, The Crown and Orange is the New Black, binge watching is a guarantee. We can also expect more reboots such as The Lion King, Dumbo, and Little Women, that boasts a stellar cast including Emma Watson, Soairse Ronan and Timothee Chalamet. If the world of film and TV hadn’t blessed us enough, David Attenborough is coming to Netflix this year, with his new documentary, Our Planet, which will bring more awareness about climate change and other threats our natural world is facing.

Another release to look forward to in September, is Margaret Atwood’s new book, The Testaments, a sequel to the very popular The Handmaid’s Tale. Atwood herself said that ‘Everything you’ve ever asked me about Gilead and its inner workings is the inspiration for this book…The other inspiration is the world we’ve been living in’, which sounds like a very promising and interesting read. Sports fans are also in for another big year.

The Women’s FIFA World Cup will take place this summer in France. Away from football, rugby fans can also rejoice, with the Rugby World Cup taking place this September.

Big music releases are also expected. Billie Eilish was a big name in 2018 and is yet to release her debut album, which is due for release this year. Ariana Grande is also expected to put out a new breakup album, after the success of her album Sweetener and her new single Thank U, Next in 2018, this new album is also one to watch. Excitingly, ABBA are also going to release music this year, with their first two singles in 35 years, which will be performed at their virtual comeback tour by ‘Abbatars’ in 2019 and 2020.

Several unique astronomical events are planned this year. On 21 January, we will be able to witness a total lunar eclipse which will also coincide with a blood-red supermoon, one of three in 2019. And in December we will also be able to see an impressive Geminid meteor shower.

So, 2018 might have been a tough year, but 2019 is definitely looking up!