In-keeping with university tradition, UEA presented a cheque worth £1,300 to the East Anglian Air Ambulance (EAAA), thus continuing its habit of giving away funds from campus lost property to charities.

The money was pooled from unclaimed money found in clothing and wallets on campus which were given to security.

Items handed into the Security Lodge are kept for two months before they are added to the charity fund.

The EAAA, which was founded in 2000, will use the money to continue their work providing helicopter emergency medical services using the two helicopters at their service.

They have the distinction of being the first air ambulance in the country to see to emergency incidents in hours of darkness to poorly-lit areas.

As of now, they have currently attended to over 20,000 missions which involve providing quick responses, advanced critical care at the scene and transferring patients to hospital.

In particular, EAAA was responsible for attending to several on-campus medical emergencies over the years, including one late last year.

The money was presented by UEA’s Director of Estates and Buildings, Roger Bond, to the Area Fundraising Officer for EAAA, Sophie Emmanuel at an event that many UEA staff attended.

Emmanuel noted her gratitude towards UEA and called the charity fund a “unique way” to raise money.