“Finding love is all heartbreak, disappointment and misery… until it isn’t,” laments the ever beautiful Dylan upon his return to our screens. This season provides all of those things, but not necessarily in that order.

Lovesick follows the story of Dylan, a frankly rather hopeless, hopeless romantic, alongside his best friend Luke, an upgraded 21st century version of Friends’ Joey Tribbiani, and Evie, a woman who you can’t help but want to be friends with. The previous two seasons saw Dylan contact each and every one of his ex lovers to tell them that he has chlamydia, with each episode featuring a different flashback to how he met each woman and how they fit into his life. This was intertwined with the love story between Dylan and Evie, who are both in love with each other but somehow never manage to confess their feelings out loud. Typical, eh?

It has been a whole year since season two graced our small screens, and so a desperate scroll through Wikipedia was needed to remember what had happened. So, a quick update: Dylan is in love with Evie, but he is with his girlfriend Abigail. Evie is in love with Dylan, and just broke up with her fiancé because of it. Dylan also loves his friend Luke, but not like that, and Luke also loves Evie and Dylan, but again, not like that. Just in case things weren’t weird enough, they also live together with their friend Angus, who is the recently divorced, ex boyfriend of Evie and soon to be father after accidently getting a woman pregnant…

Season three had some big boots to fill, and some big questions to answer, the biggest being: do Evie and Dylan get together? Well luckily for us, we find out rather soon. They do, they’re happy about it, and that’s about all we know. Between visiting literary festivals, high school reunions and rather amazing bouts of karaoke, we don’t find out much about Evie and Dylan. It’s as if their romance had been built up so much that it simply wasn’t possible for the resolution to feel as good. The emotional gauntlet we were thrown through in season two wasn’t lived up to in this season, at least not by Evie and Dylan.

While they have their moments – lying in bed drinking tea and Evie adorably tolerating Dylan’s obsession with a tarot card reader – they’re still pretty dull. Instead of feeling like you were watching an emotionally draining romance plot which could only leave you hollow and alone inside, it felt more like you’d just watched two of your mates have a conversation about which mortgage to get.

Luckily, where Dylan and Evie fall down, Luke and his story arc pick up the pieces. Luke’s journey from hedonistic alpha male to emotionally in-tune, slightly-less-alpha-male is the highlight of the season. His moments in therapy not only provide some of the funniest, but some of the most relatable moments which made the first season so great. Going toe-to-toe with the therapist over a notebook being one of many examples of this great opportunity for him to shine.

Combining this new Luke and his relationship with Jonesy, a fun loving female copy of himself, his development proves to be the stand out point of season three, and while the heart wrenching, agonising moments that made us so emotionally invested in season two weren’t as strong with Dylan and Evie, at least we got our fix from somewhere.