There have been many iconic goal celebrations in history. They’re memorable because they were funny, controversial or simply different from any other.

Luiz Suarez added another to the list of controversial celebrations by diving in front of David Moyes after getting an assist in the opening goal of the Meryseyside derby last week.

David Moyes said before the clash that Luis Suarez could “turn people away from football” by trying to con officials, which is why Suarez dived in front of him to celebrate. In fairness to Suarez, his celebration was the best way to respond to Moyes’s criticisms.

If you want a composed celebration, Eric Cantona’s against Sunderland in 1996 takes some beating. After chipping the keeper he turns around and stands still, as if he doesn’t need to do anymore after scoring a goal with such class.

For the sheer magnitude of the goal that he scores, David Beckham’s injury time equaliser against Greece to send England to the World Cup in 2002 is remembered throughout English football. After scoring a sensational 30 yard free kick, he celebrated by punching the air and standing proud in front of the England faithful.

Staying on the theme of England, Peter Crouch’s robot celebration against Jamaica in 2006 has probably been imitated by every kid who has ever scored a goal in Sunday league football.

It was an original celebration, but without doubt the kings of originality are Icelandic side Stjarnan. They have celebrated by imitating fishing, giving birth, riding a bike and ballroom dancing to name just a few.

Perhaps the most famous celebration ever is Roger Milla’s dance at the World Cup in 1990, showing that there’s nothing wrong with a dance after a goal.

Personally, my favourite celebration is Jimmy Bullard’s celebration for Hull City against Manchester City in the 2009/10 season.

Bullard imitates manager Phil Brown’s half time team talk from the previous season in which Brown made the team stay out on the pitch for the team talk as he was angry at them playing poorly. Bullard sits the team in a circle and wags his finger at all of them in the same way Brown did.

As for what celebrations could look like in the future, check this out.