The School of Film, Television and Media Studies are to launch a three-year research project into the creativity and practices of the British television comedy industry.

TV show, Trollied

The study, called Make Me Laugh, has been approved after receiving a grant of £300,000 from the Arts and Humanities Research Council and will be led by Dr. Brett Mills as they explore the working practices of industry professionals by conducting a number of interviews. It also maps the development of television comedy projects to show their progression from concept through to broadcast.

Dr. Mills said: “Comedy is a multi-million pound industry in the UK. Last year the main public broadcasting channels spent in the region of £140m on comedy output and showed almost 2,500 hours of comedy programming.

“What we are doing is looking in detail at the whole TV comedy industry – from writers, directors and producers to high level commissioners, and their relationships within the industry structure.”

Miranda writer Richard Hurst, The Office producer Ash Atalla, Trollied creator Paul Doolan and head of Sky comedy commissioning Lucy Lumsden will be giving their views on the industry.

The project will also look at how creative processes contribute towards understandings of the television comedy industry, and comes as the Department for Culture, Media and Sport undertakes an inquiry into support for creative industry.