A man has been sentenced to three years imprisonment after pleading guilty to three cases of burglary on the university campus.

Joseph Sharpe, a resident of Langley Walk in Norwich, was sentenced at Norwich Crown Court on Monday 9th January. The 32 year old admitted to stealing cash and mobile phones at three separate properties in Village Close, where the University Village Laundrette is situated.

The burglaries were carried out between Wednesday 28 September and Thursday 29 September 2016, during freshers’ week.

DC Mike Blowers from Norfolk Constabulary said he was “pleased” with the sentence Sharpe received. He said, “We will not tolerate this kind of criminal behaviour in Norfolk.”

A University spokesperson said, “We take the security of our students extremely seriously and work closely with the police to prevent and detect crime on and around our campus.

“We maintain high visibility 24-hour security patrols and there is safety lighting and CCTV. In addition, every new intake of students receives advice on personal safety and crime prevention, with the police attending our induction talks, and specially tailored advice is provided to our international students. Crime against students both on and off campus is extremely rare. We are pleased that the police and courts have dealt swiftly with the person who committed these offences.”