McDonald’s latest invention, the creatively named ‘McVegan’ burger, might seem like a good idea and another choice for those of us who for one reason or another eat a more restrictive diet than meat eaters. But make no minced-steak (get it? Mistake. Minced steak… yeah?), McDonald’s is serving us a raw deal.

True, it’ll be nice for vegans to eat something other than their mate’s chips at the largest fast food chain in the world.

However, for the multinational corporation who generated a total revenue of $24.6 billion in 2016, this is clearly an attempt to profit off of a growing movement concerned with ethics and the protection of the planet – motives which McDonald’s has no care for.

For a company which spent over $1.46 billion in 2016 on advertising themselves as a “green”, “organic”, and “caring” organization, McDonald’s is not exactly Greenpeace.

If vegans are so concerned about being ethical, then they should not be supporting companies which are blatantly not. Yes, McDonald’s decision can be seen as a positive response to the vegan impact on market trends, but we as ethical consumers can make better choices, and we can push McDonald’s to go further.

Even today, McDonald’s still uses palm oil (not in their products, but in their frying), which is causing deforestation in some of the world’s most important rainforests, you know, those same ones McDonald’s swore they would leave alone in 1989 after they were exposed for farming beef there.

I hardly even need to mention the impact McDonald’s has on global warming through farming cattle, their heavy use of chemicals, their unnecessary packaging and transport arrangements and their myth of ‘humane slaughter’ for their blatant pretence about ethics to become obvious.

As is usually the case, they’re another company which puts profit first and environmental standards second. Just like their burgers, McDonald’s ethics have no substance.