What a start for the boys in gold and blue! Having been runners up in both league and cup in 2016/17, the men’s team are determined to put things right this year and we couldn’t have put out a more emphatic statement.

A solid fresher intake and a very positive performance in pre-season had the boys going into the game with Nottingham 3s in confident mood and it took just five minutes to establish a 3-0 lead through Hamish Lister (x2) and American exchange Joel Mayo.

A Nottingham timeout did nothing to prevent the Eagles from extending the lead further as goals from Jhan Tibudan, Jack Govey, Shu Omi and our other American import Max Yoshida saw UEA end the first quarter seven goals clear. This quarter not only saw a rampant attacking display, it also saw Sean Cullum lose his battle with a particularly tough blade of grass and fall face first into the turf under no pressure whatsoever.

Into the second quarter, the boys picked up from where they left off, Mayo and Yoshida bagging two great goals each before one of the highlights of the day, a first ever goal for third year Patrick O’Dell.

UEA Eagles being 12-0 up at half time was beyond what any of us could have predicted. After such a dominant first half, some overconfidence and indiscipline started to creep into the Eagles and Nottingham started to grow into the game in the third quarter.

However, the defensive quartet of goalie Chris Irvine and Charlie Albuery, Chris Groom and Will Vickers kept the Nottingham attack at bay. Tibudan then added his second and Owen Wilson bagged a great goal to send the boys into the last quarter 14-0 up. The team realised we needed to step our game up again and went into the final quarter determined to make the score line as big as possible. Within minutes Tibudan had completed his hat-trick before Yoshida scored an outrageous behind-the-back goal. One more each from Yoshida and Mayo took the score to 18-0 before we rounded off the performance with a goal from club President Andy Bloore.

Winning 19-0 to open the campaign is genuinely phenomenal and also represents a first clean sheet in at least two years. The two freshers in the squad, Scott Arthur and Kris Rickus, slotted in seamlessly and did themselves proud.

Credit also to Seb Grant for winning every face-off. With such a dominant first performance and great turnouts at training sessions the toughest issue right now is who makes the squad each week!

In a close Man of the Match contest the winner was Charlie Albuery, in a game where the goalscorers took the limelight, the professionalism and discipline he showed in defence was brilliant; one of his best games for the club.