While UEA’s Men’s team won a stunning 4-1 victory over Essex, the Women’s team fell to a hard fought 3-2 defeat.

The Men went 2-0 up in quick succession to dampen Essex’s hopes of a win before the Captain Tom Vaughan entered the court. Although putting up a valiant fight he succumbed to the bombardments of Essex and the resulting score was 2-1, with UEA still in the lead. UEA’s second and first seeds secured the victory in impressive fashion and UEA Men’s finished 4-1 up.

Although disappointed with his own defeat, the Men’s captain Vaughan said he thought, “everyone played well” and was “pleased that the whole team won”. He decided the night would be a chance to “drown my sorrows, but celebrate the team”.

Meanwhile the Women, 2-0 down after the fifth and fourth seeds had played, pulled one back to leave the score at 2-1 to Essex. However, after a tough struggle they lost the chance to win as UEA’s second seed was defeated.

The first seeds still played, and Captain Ally Artuch added another win to the score – the Women’s team were beaten but not disgraced. Ally told Concrete she was “really happy with some of the rallies” and impressed with how her team played. She hoped to return to East Anglia in the evening with a little more energy, “be not sweaty, and celebrate”, regardless of the overall Women’s result.