With the end of term and exams fast approaching, planning the summer holiday is on most students’ to-do lists. However, with loans slow decreasing as the year comes to a close, trying to plan a jam-packed summer can be tricky, so here are some tips to having a fun summer on the cheap.

summer

Using the long break to do some volunteering work or invaluable work-experience could help you out after your degree. You probably won’t get this amount of time off again, so using it to benefit your future can be a worthwhile thing to do. For example, using the university to apply for internships are a great way to make a bit of money as well as learning skills that could prove to be of great benefit after your studies.

Or if you want to completely get away from work for a bit, festivals can be a great place to volunteer as well as being a good way to see you favourite bands for free! With so many amazing festivals around, whether you want to stay local or travel a bit further, there are plenty to choose from. For example, Latitude, a local festival in Suffolk, welcomes volunteers every year and provides them with free entrance to the festival. On the other hand, festivals in Europe can often be a cheaper alternative to ones in the UK. Croatia is a hotspot for festivals over the summer period such as Hideout and Dimensions. The fact it’s not as over commercialised compared to places like Ibiza means it’s often cheaper and less crowded.

Or if you just want to get away after a busy year of studying and completing exams, travelling with friends can be a fun thing to do. But leaving the country doesn’t necessarily mean having to put you further into your overdraft. Travel can be the expensive part of a holiday, but with the introduction of the Megabus, you can now travel to places like Paris and Amsterdam for a fraction of the price compared to other means of transport. Similarly, staying in an expensive hotel doesn’t always have to be the answer! With lots of hostels all over the country as well as abroad, they are ideal for travelling students who don’t want to overspend on pricey accommodation. StudentUniverse, a website designed specifically to give you the cheapest hotels all over the world, provide students with a quick and easy solution to expensive accommodation. Not only this, they provide cheap flights and student deals too.

Or if you don’t fancy travelling long distances this summer, then why not catch up with friends you’ve not seen for a while. Getting together after you’re all home from university and having a great summer doesn’t always mean spending lots. For example, garden BBQ’s are a great way to catch up with friends without breaking the bank.Whatever you want to do this summer, make the most of this time off. Whether that’s seeing the year’s best live music, jetting off to an exciting new place, or just catching up with friends that you haven’t seen for a while, summer doesn’t