Until the age of eighteen, I was a certified daddy’s girl. If you needed to find him, all you had to do was look at my little finger. When he died unexpectantly, my mother became my superhero.

I won’t be home to celebrate her on 11 March, but I have some other options up my sleeve. The world is always creating new technological advances. One of them, is Skype. If you can’t see your mother on Mother’s Day, arrange to Skype her. She doesn’t need a fancy present, or for most of our budgets, another candle. Just tell her you love her, you appreciate her and you’ll see her soon.

Another option is to have Mother’s Day when you can see her. We have delayed birthday parties all the time, there’s nothing wrong with a delayed Mother’s Day. Americans don’t celebrate Mother’s Day until May 13th, why not be cultural and do the same?

There’s a letterbox just outside the SU Shop. If you can afford the ever-rising price of a stamp, write to her. A handwritten letter (if your handwriting is more legible than mine) delivers straight to the heart.

Mother’s Day is, in a way, like Valentine’s Day. It’s a day to show someone you love them, even though we should do so every day. For some us, our parents don’t live a short trip round the corner, they’re a £250 train journey away or a flight to another country. Just because we can’t see them as often as we would like, it does not mean we don’t love them fiercely.

For those who have faced one of the most awful tragedies, the death of a mother, Mother’s Day can be a painful and dreaded day. It’s hard to log on to social media and see dozens of posts of smiling faces celebrating relationships that have still got years to expand. It is okay to take a day for yourself and completely ignore any like mongering posts that elicit sharp pains to the chest. You love your mother, that will always be a given.

It can still be a day to take some quiet time to celebrate one of the most important women in your life. Perhaps do something that she would have enjoyed, eat or drink something that was her favourite, talk to other members of your family, they will want to help you. It’s a hard day, but you will get through it. I underestimate my mother more often than I would like to admit. She is kind, caring and funny. I am lucky not only to be her daughter, but to be her friend.

Mothers do extraordinary things all over the world, 24/7. If you are lucky enough to be able to, don’t forget to tell her you love her on 11 March.