The nap nook is a sanctuary for many UEA students. Located on the first floor of Union House, this darkened room is filled to the brim with beanbags, sofa beds and eye masks and encourages students to recharge their batteries during the day.

Any student can use it, but it was envisioned to particularly help students with chronic illnesses, such as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

When the nap nook was launched back in 2015, the SU said that it would bring “massive positive benefits” including “better alertness, huge increases in memory capacity and better grades.”

The first of its kind in a UK university, it has grown popular with students who find themselves exhausted by hectic university life.

UCL similarly implemented nap pods for students to use throughout their day. The decision was significant as it  was used to tackle sleep deprivation amongst students.Improving student wellbeing is rightly viewed by universities to be as important as academic  care.

Taking a short forty minute nap in the middle of a busy day can have tremendous benefits on a student’s productivity, concentration and overall wellbeing.

Open all day until midnight, the nap nook is always available for those in need of a quick rest.

One regular nap nook user told Concrete: “the space has been so much help to me this past semester.

“When I have a huge gap between lectures in the morning and society commitments in the evening, itís the most comfortable place to go to chill out.”

The nap nook is a vital component of the UEA campus and supports students’ well being.

But there are inevitable obstacles to getting that much needed rest. Noise from the Hive often percolates in from downstairs, disturbing the peace and quiet, there are only two sofa beds, and the nap nook offers an all too convenient cut-through to the media centre.

Additionally, many students are seeing the benefits of napping during the day, so the nap nook is becoming more and more crowded, particularly around exam time.

With the increasing number of students coming to UEA, there’s a need for more spaces like these to accommodate students’ stress.