UEA’s first team secured another UEA victory, beating the University of Essex 44–18. For many of UEA’s third year girls, this match was their last for the university, and determined for the win, they quickly took the lead.

Netball3 joshua smithers

Photo: Joshua Smithers

UEA made an early drive, scoring two nets within the first few minutes. Essex played well in the first quarter, and with strong support from the side line, they provided stern competition. At the end of the first quarter, however, UEA were well in the lead with 11–3.

By the second quarter, Essex looked exhausted as UEA found their stride. Essex made some great interceptions but despite their best efforts, UEA dominated possession for most of the match. Essex struggled to score due to UEA’s strong defence, and the second quarter closed at 20–9.

UEA’s supporters got behind their team after half-time, shouting encouragement such as “it’s too easy”, and “she shoots, she scores”. The home side continued to play well, securing a score of 23–12 at the end of the third quarter.

Sally Grice in Goal Defence played exceptionally well. Coming in after half-time, she brought new energy to the team, and drove them to a safe win. Speaking to Concrete, Sally said “it was a great feeling to win in front of a home crowd today, especially because for some of the girls it was their final match. We took the first quarter to settle in, but after that the game flowed well and we were able to relax and show our best netball.”

Essex were very sporting, and despite the score they were determined to give UEA a good game. With strong passing and interceptions, they continued to show determination in the face of defeat, but their defence let them down. Overall it was a great win for UEA I, and was a vital result in the day, giving UEA great momentum to continue their winning streak at this year’s Derby Day.