Pale Waves came to Norwich on October 25th for a raucous show. Frances Butler was fortunate enough to catch a word with the new indie darlings prior to their Waterfront Studio show.

How is tour going?

Heather Baron-Gracie: Really good. Last night in London was amazing, it was probably my favourite show. There was a stage invasion.

Ciara Doran: We had to start the song again. Someone fell into my drum kit, Charlie’s bass came out and there was no sound.

What are your plans in regards to future music?

H: We’ve got an EP coming out, the first track on it is our next single. It’s been done, finished, sent to radio, so that should be coming out very soon. There’s another three tracks on the EP, and then we’re looking to record the album.

How do you feel about being female musicians in the music industry?

C: I think one of the bad things is people just coming to the shows because of attraction – especially towards Heather – and being a bit creepy. The first show we did, the Birmingham show, Heather was like “it’s really hot on stage” and someone shouted “take something off.” It’s uncomfortable.

H: We’re encouraging other young girls to get into music.

C: And not be scared of it. I can’t count how many girls have said to me “I really want to do drums,” and it’s good, because no-one’s going to stop you from doing it. It is quite intimidating to play an instrument which is quite male dominated.

H: The industry is quite male-dominated still. With women being in the industry and making a name for themselves, it’s getting more popular these days and is really encouraging other women. It shouldn’t be dominated by any gender.

C: I don’t think we’re seeing the full effect of it, because we’ve got loads of fans who love us and don’t care what gender we are, or maybe love us even more because we’re girls doing it. It’s a mixed gender band as well, I love how we’ve got the two boys and I wouldn’t change that for anything.

Is there anything you’ve done in this band that you didn’t think you’d be able to do?

C: This tour.

H: Being treated like it’s our show is really strange for us.

C: We’ve never had that. I feel like our career has come at a really nice pace, so we can appreciate absolutely everything. It’s been a really long process. Playing loads of shitty shows in Manchester. Really bad gigs. You always grow as a person as well, if it takes a bit longer. When you get to stage like this, you know exactly who you are, what you want your band to be, how you want to come across. You need to do all the shit things, you need to struggle, because if you don’t, you’re not going to appreciate it.