Lewis against GE

Clive Lewis, the Labour MP for Norwich South, was one of only 13 MPs to vote against the General Election.

Mr Lewis accused the Prime Minister of “playing politics with our futures” and said the timing of the election was only asking for a mandate for the “self-serving interests of Theresa May.”

The majority of Norwich voted Remain in the EU Referendum in June. In March, Mr Lewis said that he could not  “in all conscience” vote to trigger Article 50.

In a tweet, Mr Lewis described the election as a typical, calling it “MAYhem.” He also accused Mrs May of  “blaming Labour and…the Liberal Democrats” when the nation’s problems are internal.

He added: “This is so obviously a power grab by the Tories…they want a blank cheque for an anti-democratic agenda, which stretches from an exit from Europe at all costs through catastrophic education cuts to carte blanche for taking an axe to employment and environmental protections.”

Mr Lewis has said he was forced to substitute his wedding plans for the polls. He told The Daily Telegraph: “It’s a bit of a disaster personally.”

– Amanda Ng

UEA grad quits job

UEA alumnus and former UKIP MP Douglas Carswell has announced that he will not stand for re-election to Parliament.

The former UEA history student was previously UKIP’s only member in the House of Commons, however he left the party in  March 2017 and has represented Clacton as an Independent ever since. He has announced that he will vote Conservative on 8th June.

Mr Carswell was first elected to Parliament in 2005 as the Conservative representative for Harwich, and was then elected in Clacton five years later. In 2014 he defected to UKIP, and became their only MP after winning the by-election triggered by his resignation.

However, his relationship with the party became tense following Britain’s vote to leave the EU. Nigel Farage accused him of “actively working against UKIP” and party leader Paul Nuttall said that Carswell “was never a comfortable Ukipper.”

Announcing his resignation earlier this year, the MP suggested that he felt his role in the party was over following the success of the Leave campaign. He said: “I switched to UKIP because I desperately wanted us to leave the EU.”

– Caitlin Doherty

Elm Hill named prettiest street

Elm Hill, in the centre of Norwich, ranked seventh in a 1,000-strong survey about Britain’s prettiest streets, carried out by the National Express.

The Shambles, York, was at the top of the list. Film makers, including those behind Stardust and The Go-Between, have used Elm Hill as a location. The street is home to the Dormouse Bookshop, as well as places to buy crafts and antiques. Although there is a tree near the Bear Shop, the prevalence of Dutch Elm disease in the UK means that it is not actually an elm.

Elm Hill has a long history; there is evidence for the street dating back to 1200. However, few buildings and trees predate Tudor times due to a fire in Norwich city centre during the 16th century. The street was almost destroyed in the 1930s but campaigning from the Norwich Society prevented this. Instead the slums were cleared and buildings deemed to be of historical significance were renovated.

– Imogen Barton

Pro-VC appointment

The university has promoted Professor Fiona Lettice to pro-Vice-Chancellor for research and innovation

Prof Lettice said: “I’m looking forward to enhancing links with a range of external organisations to increase the social, economic and cultural impact of our research.”

Previously, Prof Lettice was a project manager for British Gas and worked as a change consultant for BMW Rover.

She is particularly interested in business research, especially innovation management and product development. Her areas of expertise include: diversity management,buyer-supplier relationships, and branding.

She is currently a fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a Royal Society fellow.

She is also a non-Executive Director for Clever Together, a Board member for TechEast and co-organiser for SyncNorwich.

– Beth Papworth