Kate Hicks, representative of UEA Labour Students, has won the UEA Mock General Election 2019 with a substantial majority of 54.7 percent.

After two days of polling before the Easter break, the organisers of the Mock Election announced via their Facebook page that UEA’s Labour Student representative had received the majority of the 225 votes cast.

The UEA Conservative Association candidate Thomas Sheppard came second with 27.6 percent of the vote, and UEA Liberal Democrat representative Samuel Bruce received 16.00 percent.

The Mock Election was run by the three political societies in collaboration with the School of Politics, Philosophy and Language with the aim of increasing student engagement in politics. The candidates’ manifestos were specific to student-based policies.

The election results were in stark contrast to the UK’s 2017 General Election, which saw the Conservatives and Labour receive 42.4 and 40.0 percent respectively, with the Lib Dems polling at 7.4 percent.

Hicks, a third year history student, will now have the opportunity to present her student policy based mandate to local politicians. She said, ‘it was a brilliant experience allowing us to push for change at UEA. I am currently utilising the mandate from students to help change the culture and support structures for those with mental health problems and make the university act radically on climate change.’

Organisers of the Mock Election said, ‘we were delighted with the turnout and would like to thank all students who took part in this democratic exercise.’