This week, Concrete spoke to someone you may have noticed around campus recently – second-year Jessica Bruce, who’s partaking in ‘No-Shoe November’ this month with two friends. What is it? Read our interview below for the facts…

To start, what is ‘No-Shoe November’, and why are you taking part?
No Shoe November is basically a month where you, or we, don’t wear shoes, to raise money for charity. You just go about your daily life as normal, but without shoes. We’re raising money for the Small Steps Project which helps out children and families living on rubbish dumps around the world. It’s something you don’t really think about, but when you see, even through videos, what goes on it really opens your eyes to something that you otherwise wouldn’t be aware of.

How did it start?
We don’t really know how it started as a concept, but one of my mates at a different uni told me about it and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe we regret it when we’re having a tough day and a shoe suddenly takes on a heavenly glow, but it’s definitely worth it.

How’s it been so far?
It’s been really good so far, the good days definitely outweigh the bad. The only funny stories we have are kind of strange; like mud squelching anecdotes, shouting at each other about wearing slippers and discussing the definition of the shoe, the terror of the stone and the coining of the phrase ‘shoe porn’. We’re also constantly talked about by passers by, which is weird.

Is there still a way to pitch in?
People can still get involved, whether it be through going barefoot themselves even for a day, and getting sponsored, or sponsoring us at http://www.justgiving.com/NoShoesNovember2014, or by texting NSNS77 to 70070 with the amount they want to donate. All the help and support is appreciated so much!