The Home Run list – a list of approved houses let by approved landlords – was released this morning.

Concrete is here to help you house hunt. Check out these profiles of popular student areas in Norwich, find out all about paying the bills and get a few tips for living on a budget.

Unthank (Golden Triangle area)

If you live off and around Unthank next year you will not be disappointed. Possibly the most golden road in the Golden Triangle area, Unthank has it all. Directly on the 25 bus route there are two bus stops to choose from on your way into University: a little tip, the closer to the city the quieter the bus stop.

The Golden Triangle is the most popular place to live.

You’ll be spoilt for choice with takeaways, including a Chinese, an Indian and a Subway, not to mention the plethora of trendy cafes and gastro pubs. Your student loan will soon feel the pinch of as well as your jeans! The Co-op and a brand new Tesco Express has everything you could need.

There’s a dry cleaners and launderette for any unfortunate accidents with wine/the effects of wine. And last but not least there is also a hairdressers so you can always look your best for the LCR!

– Kate Allen

Bluebell Road and surrounding areas

Bluebell and the surrounding roads can be a great location to live once you have to move off campus, particularly if you want to be close to the University.

It’s great being near the university on LCR nights, particularly for hosting pre-drinks and then only having a short distance to walk. It’s not so convenient for town, however, and generally, you need to get the bus or a taxi to get to the centre of Norwich.

Photograph: Union of UEA Students 

Bluebell Road is a quieter place to live than some of the other student areas, as there are not so many students living close together in one area. It’s not too far to go if you want to visit people so don’t be too worried, but it’s worth remembering that it might not be as lively an area as Unthank.

The convenience of being so close to campus for both lectures and the LCR really makes Bluebell Road the ideal place to live.

– Hannah Evans

West Earlham

“You go up to The Village and then a bit further.” West Earlham really is in the great yonder from UEA. With only a few shops in the centre and Aldi about ten minutes walk, there really is nothing going on in West Earlham itself. However, the area is very close to campus so it makes University access a cinch.

The stores include: convenience store; pharmacy; butcher’s; baker’s (though a tragic lack of a candlestickmaker’s); an inexplicable kebab shop; charity store; an even more mystifying tattoo parlour. The baker’s is great because they sell yesterday’s bread for 50p.

So Earlham is a kind of fairytale place with villains and strange business initiatives but, ironically, it can help you can feel a bit more grown up.

– Jonathan Parr

Living on a budget

With rent and bills to pay on a regular basis, living in your own house means you’ll have to be a lot more frugal.

If you’ve brought your car to Norwich, do a big weekly shop at a supermarket with your housemates. You’ll be less likely to buy food during the week, especially wasting money on campus food. Set aside around £10 per week for communal meals – each take it in turns to cook an evening meal every night of the week. This means less time cooking, less people trying to cook at once, and enjoying the time with your housemates.

If your house has a garage, use it to store your bike. Don’t waste money on a bus pass when you can ride a bike for free while keeping fit.

Finally, your parents may say it at home and now you’ll know why – turn lights, water and heating off when you don’t need them. You’ll save a heap of cash in the long-term for … alcohol.

Bills … argh!

From your second year, you’ll realise all the things you took for granted on campus. As a tenant you’ll now be responsible for paying bills, emptying your own bins and, unfortunately, cleaning your own showers!

Get things sorted over summer – contact your landlords to find out which energy companies supply the house then contact them the day you move in to provide them with your details. It’s easiest to pay by direct debit every month – you’ll end up paying less, more often rather than a huge bill at the end of term when you’ve got no money left. Sort your broadband out as early as possible as some companies won’t install your router for about a month after setting up the account.

The easiest way for everyone to pay for bills is to have one main bill-payer who everyone pays their share to on a regular basis. Make sure you trust the people you’re living with, though.

– Adam Fenwick

This info and advice first appeared in issue 250 of Concrete.