Norwich South MP Clive Lewis is being investigated by the Labour Party following allegations he groped a woman. Mr Lewis said he “completely denies” the incident occurred.

A formal complaint was made to the party Friday 3 November, and comes amid other allegations of sexual assault and harassment made of other Westminster politicians.

A woman alleged Mr Lewis groped her whilst hugging her at a Labour Party conference event in September. In the Independent newspaper, the 39 year old Labour member claimed the incident occurred in a room full of other people. It was allegedly the same fringe event that a video of Mr Lewis telling an audience member to “get on your knees bitch” was filmed. Mr Lewis apologised for the remark.

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Lewis said he was shocked by the allegation and fiercely denied the claims.

He said: “I don’t as a rule at packed Labour party conferences grope people’s bottoms when I greet them,” he said.

“It’s just not how I roll, it’s not what I do.

“Is the person mistaken? Have I given them a hug and this has been misinterpreted? I don’t know.

“All I know is that I would not deliberately do that, do what’s alleged. I completely deny that.”

The party issued as brief statement on the claims which said: “The Labour party is investigating a formal complaint made today against Clive Lewis.”

In an interview with Sky News, Mr Lewis said “I think it’s right and proper that people should feel confident in the process, if there’s something that’s happened, in Westminster or beyond. They should feel confident in the process, they can come forward. However, it also means there’s going to be allegations which aren’t substantiated and don’t stand up.”

Labour will appoint an independent specialist organisation to offer confidential advice and support to anyone affected by sexual harassment.

This follows claims made about a number of MPs working for both Labour and Conservative parties.