Norwich Research Park has received the Outstanding Achievement award at the Norfolk Business Awards. Hosted by comedian Katherine Ryan, the event awarded 13 of Norfolk’s most promising businesses in front of 550 guests – the largest audience in almost 30 years.

The park employs over 12,000 people, working in partnership with institutions such as UEA and Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. It is the first organisation to have won the prize for outstanding achievement in many years. Recent winners include former Norfolk Chamber Chief Executive, Caroline Williams, and Norwich University of the Arts Vice-Chancellor, Professor John Last.

David Parfrey, who took over as Executive Chairman of the Research Park in March, has worked to attract investors, promote the Park’s name abroad, and build links with other Norfolk business parks and schools in order to make it a promising career option for young people.

The award recognises the Park’s role in the growth of the county’s economy, which is home to over 80 businesses and has been highlighted in the government’s Industrial Strategy document earlier this year. Mr Parfrey has made it clear he wishes to further these economic links over his two year term, putting the Park’s flow of research to commercial use.

In his acceptance speech he outlined climate change, food security and healthy ageing as some of the ‘21st century’s greatest challenges’, asserting that the Research Park is leading the way in solving them.

He concluded by saying that ‘we can put this region on the global map as the place where the world looks to for big problems to be solved’.