Norwich workers are among the most satisfied in the country, according to a national survey.

Business psychologists, OPP, surveyed 2500 people up and down the country in order to establish levels of job satisfaction. The survey asked respondents to rate their satisfaction in a variety of areas related to their employment, including workload, salary and management.

The findings, released last month, indicated that on average 71% workers across the UK were satisfied with their job. In Norwich, that figure was notably higher, with 77% claiming to be satisfied in their employment, a 6% rise on the national average.

Norwich beat a series of major cities, including Manchester and London and, perhaps most significantly, anywhere in Essex. At the bottom of the table, Newcastle and Cardiff floundered with just 64% of people surveyed currently working in these cities expressing job satisfaction.

Speaking to the Eastern Daily Press, Nova Fairbank, chair of the Norfolk Chamber of Commerce, said “With Norfolk being a great place to live and work, it is not hard to understand why of employees in Norwich are happy. Our region boasts not only business excellence, but also a lifestyle that helps attract and retain many employees in this area.”

The survey wasn’t all good news for students, with workers within the retail, catering and leisure industries, popular industries for student employment, ranking among the least satisfied. Fairbank added, however, that she hoped “this latest poll will encourage more of the talented young people in Norfolk to take up local employment opportunities and remain in Norfolk”.

Norwich provides a wide range of opportunities for employment for graduates from the University of East Anglia: from BBC Norfolk and Anglia Television to Norwich University Hospital and insurance company Aviva.

This employment satisfaction report comes in the wake of findings released at the end of 2015 that Norwich residents are among some of the least lonely in the UK. Research done by the Co-op Group found that 57% of Norwich residents never felt lonely, a increase on the national average of 44%.