The fourth season of Netflix hit Orange Is the New Black will be released on 17th June, and with coursework and exams well out of the way, it is the perfect timing for a new binge watch project. The new season looks promising with cast members and showrunners saying that season four will be darker than the previous ones and from what we know so far it will definitely not get any less interesting.

With Caputo having taken over Litchfield he will have his hands full from the very beginning of season four. He has to re-establish order after his inmates have broken out of prison to enjoy the nearby lake, and a host of new inmates have arrived in the already overpopulated Litchfield. There will be new faces in the show which will hopefully lead the storyline to focus more on those other inmates, putting Piper Chapman, the self-proclaimed Godfather of Litchfield, somewhat in the background.

As Chapman is the original main character she is of course important for the storyline and the show cannot very well continue once she is out of prison. However, this does not meant that she is a very likeable character. As Taylor Schilling described her character in an interview, Chapman “tries on everything lie a piece of clothing – she doesn’t quite fit the jacket, but she tries it on”, a characteristic that, after three seasons, is more irritating than intriguing. One can hope that she transforms into more of a side character and that viewers get the storyline will focus more on the other inmates.

Whilst viewers will see new faces, there will also be old ones as it has been announced that fan favourite Nicky Nichols will return after spending most of the third season in Max.So overall the new season of Orange Is the New Black looks promising, and with the show a l ready renewed for seasons five, six and seven, it seems that the showrunners are certainly not short of ideas where to take the storyline next.