For a country with a population of less than five million, Norway’s capital Oslo has lots to offer.

Situated in the South of Norway, where the temperatures are milder than in the Arctic north, it is easy to see why Oslo was ranked number one in terms of quality of life among large European cities in 2012. Coming out from central train station into Oslo takes you down Karl Johans gate, the main shopping strip where famous international brands mix with Scandinavian favourites.

Oslo

Another sight well worth seeing is Frogner Park or Vigelandsparken in Norwegian, a short walk from the centre of Oslo (or metro ride depending on how you’re feeling/how freezing it is) the world’s largest sculpture park containing world famous pieces by Gustav Vigeland. Another 20 minute metro ride away from the centre is Holmenkollen ski jump, the world’s most modern designer ski jump. Visit the ski museum in the day and the platform at night for amazing panoramic views of the city.

If you have some spare time to kill at central station the Oslo Opera House close by is an impressive landmark constructed from glass and marble where walking on the roof is encouraged as a popular activity.

Language wise don’t worry if you haven’t mastered Norwegian, everyone is incredibly friendly and usually proficient in English, just be sure to say “tusen takk” at every opportunity, and you won’t go far wrong!

If you’re looking for somewhere friendly, lively and with lots of culture then perfectly sized Oslo has it all.