The student council at Oxford University voted to boycott the National Student Survey (NSS).

A two thirds majority was required for the boycott, which gained 75 percent of the vote. There were 59 votes for the motion and 20 against.

Oxford SU campaigned last year to boycott, after the National Union of Students (NUS) encouraged its members to, resulting in response rates dropping from 51 percent to 31 percent. These results were unusable as a 50 percent minimum response rate is required from each university.

The decision follows government reforms to higher education and the introduction of the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).

The NSS is one of the tools used to rank a university Bronze, Silver, or Gold.

Campaigners who argue against tuition fees claim universities which rank highly will increase their fees, making them less accessible to students from poorer backgrounds.

Last year UEA was upgraded to a Gold ranking in the NSS, and tuition fees this year have gone up to £9,250.

Talking to the Oxford Student, Rida Vaquas, Campaigns Officer of Oxford University Labour Club (OULC) stated the NSS is a “flawed metric, which contributes to the marketisation of our higher education system, and has already been linked to job cuts and course closures at other universities.

“The boycott last year forced the government on the backfoot, suspending the link between the TEF and rising tuition fees for now. We need to keep the pressure up, and organise to scrap the TEF altogether.”

Reasons for the boycott by Oxford SU were reported in the Oxford Student as focusing primarily on the impact it would have on the SU and the pressure on its resources.