This spring has called for Portugal. Who would mind catching some sun, especially when spring knocks at the door? So here we are, on our way to Porto.

Colourful houses, tiny squares, cosy cafes – that is what this historic city is hiding in its narrow streets. It is located on the northern bank of the Douro River, which makes it a perfect location for great view lovers.

There is a specific romantic vibe in the spectacular view from the Dom Luis I Bridge, which was projected by famous Gustave Eiffel, who definitely had a thing for creating the world’s best sights.

What surprises the most is the mixture of ancient houses, sometimes completely ruined, fired or abandoned all around the city. Various wooden doors of different shades and numerous balconettes with potted plants seem to come alive from paintings.

It is very common to hang out washed clothes outside the window, which gives the city its own charm.

While walking around, it is very likely you’ll get tired, as the terrain is very hilly. So, it is always a good idea to stop at a local café, grab a cup of coffee with a national Portuguese dessert – Pastel de Nata – and continue exploring…

Porto is perfect for a long weekend destination in May when the weather gets warm enough to live in houses not supplied for heating. Besides, March is too rainy and windy in Porto, so do not expect to be sun-kissed.

The next destination is the capital, beautiful Lisbon. Many people choose Porto, but my vote goes to this one.

A bigger city with plenty of places to see, many museums to visit, various events happening around, street musicians and painters creating pieces of art, and yellow trams in every corner. Meeting sunrises and sunsets on the Commerce Square gives you all the space to enjoy the Tagus river sitting on the stairs right by the water.

For the best city viewpoint, there are two spots located in an area called Bairro Alto, where you can also find local restaurants, food markets and little boutiques. Lisbon cannot be compared with other capitals, as it is cosy, and has absolutely no big-city rush.

Though, if you are young, wild and free, there are definitely things to do. Pub crawls every night followed by clubbing until sunrise.

Going to Portugal and not seeing the ocean is the biggest mistake you can make. Standing on the edge of the cliff and looking at the powerful nature. Boundless ocean. Closing your eyes and just listening. There are things that cannot be explained with words.

There are things that you cannot capture on a picture.

These places take all your concerns away. After seeing them you just come back being a different person.