This week saw the return of UEA’s annual Recruitment and Opportunities Fair. Held at the Sportspark, the annual event offers an impressive variety of opportunities to students ranging from internships abroad to roles available in accountancy and medical sectors. Employers came from a variety of industries, with representatives from the NHS, the Royal Air Force, Lloyds Bank and TeachFirst, to name a few.

As well as this, the recruitment fair also had plenty of volunteer programs to join, either from charities overseas such as Intern Vietnam, Intern China or Anhui Teaching Exchange, or UK based charities such as YMCA Norfolk or Age UK.

Speaking to Concrete at the event, a representative from the Enterprise Centre emphasised the impact ‘gives students the chance to see things that otherwise they wouldn’t.’ A postgraduate student expressed that the event had made her ‘feel really optimistic about [my] future’, adding that she had ‘seen a lot of companies that [I] wouldn’t have even thought about and they’re offering jobs [I’d] be really interested in.’

Another employer from ExploreLearning – a teacher training company – expressed the advantage of students engaging in the event, explaining that it is ‘really beneficial for students to come to chat to employers and ask any questions’. Employers can give you much more information in a single conversation than they can over their websites, and having face-to-face interactions like this is a great way to network and gain contacts in your chosen field.

The fair also offered lots of information about building your CV, with one effective example being participation in the UEA Award. Speaking on behalf of the award, Law Student Rachel Fisher expressed that it enables students to ‘showcase skills and attributes outside of your degree and gives you so much more to talk about in interviews.’

The University will offer other specialist fairs throughout the year such Careers in Law, Writing and Communication and Teaching.