Sometimes I ask myself, “What would I do if I can’t remember anything? What would happen if I constantly forgot something?” And these questions frustrate me. Imagine forgetting all the mistakes you made throughout the years, all your first loves, inappropriate actions…

If you can’t remember them, then there is a higher chance that you would repeat them. We all learn from our actions.

We take lessons from the wrong ones and this means we educate ourselves by making mistakes. So as long as we keep remembering them, it is likely that we would be more careful and take lessons from our experiences.

This world has witnessed a lot of cruel and brutal behaviour and actions towards certain groups of society. People got hurt, they lost their lives, they lost their families.

We still remember those hard times and think about the ones we lost. Because if we don’t, they might fade away slowly and in a certain time period, they could be forgotten eternally.

My grandma lost half of her family in concentration camps during the Second World War. From the day that I was able to understand what the Holocaust was, she told me her story.

She told me how she hid in a house for years. How she wished none of this happened. After hearing those stories, I understood the importance of “remembering.” And I promised myself, as long as I am alive; I will remember what happened to six million Jewish people, I will remember the people who lost their family members, I will remember the survivors who managed to stay alive.

“To forget Holocaust is to kill twice.” says Elie Wiesel, who was also a Holocaust survivor himself. But what is forgetting? Is it not caring or is it ignoring? How can you forget such a cruel act? The fact is, people don’t forget, they choose not to speak about it. For me, especially for this subject, they are similar things.

Not talking leads to a lack of knowledge and that leads to forgetting. Forgetting is scary. If we let people forget what happened to six million Jewish people, we can witness someone else repeat a similar action towards Jews or other people.

That is why, “I am remembering” and I will “Never Forget.” I will talk about it, I will write about it.

Saturday 27 January was the Holocaust Remembrance Day where we honoured the life of the victims of the Holocaust and it is chance for everyone to learn more about this horrible act that happened nearly 80 years ago.

Therefore, I am inviting everyone to say “We Remember” as a show of support and wish that this will never happen again.