Research at UEA has found a possible solution to short mobile battery life, overheating handsets and expensive contracts.

Dr Alexander Romanov and Professor Manfred Bochmann have identified molecules found in gold that increase efficiency in mobile phone screens. The traditionally used iridium produces extra heat, however properties in gold allow for the energy to be spend solely on lighting up the screen. The two scientists have also found that when mixing with certain compounds, these properties of gold can glow.

The discovery could have great societal impact as a phone’s battery can last up to four days without being charged and the absence of iridium decrease the overall cost of screen-tech.

Dr Romanov and Prof Bochmann have teamed up with material experts to find whether energy can travel through polymers hosting the gold particles. This could result in screens which can bend and stretch and possibly even respond to touch.

‘Your guess is as good as mine as to how far this can go’, said Dr Romanov.

Four years ago, the scientists were accepted to the Norwich Research Park’s Translation Fund and just a year later were awarded a global patent. Now the team has secured a funding in excess of $1 million from a screen-developer in the Far East, working to create a world in which anyone can afford an OLED TV or smartphone.