Richard Alston Dance Company, one of the UK’s most acclaimed choreographer led dance companies, is coming to the Norwich Theatre Royal on 2nd and 3rd of February – and what it has to offer is promising.

Including the brand new work, Cabaret and Gypsy Mixture, both by Richard Alston, the company will also be presenting a new work by associate choreographer Martin Lawrance, which will receive its world premiere at the Theatre Royal on Friday 2nd February. He started dancing with the Richard Alston Dance Company in 1995 until becoming a Rehearsal Director in 2007.

Lawrance’s Cut and Run dances to a loud, textural music by two contemporary classical composers, Damian Legassick and Michael Gordon, from the postminimal band Icebreaker. Both pieces, Evol and Yo Shakespeare, from the band’s album Terminal Velocity, blend contemporary classical, rock and alternative music.

With Legassick having played keyboards for artists such as Madonna, R.E.M., and Blur, and Gordon’s experience with underground rock bands in New York City, the piece promises dynamic and edgy sounds and movements: “Fast frenetic rhythm with a cool sombre undertone takes the dancers into a world of shadow and swift dodges.”

Although the album describes itself as “visceral but undanceable”, Lawrance expressed his excitement to work with such challenging pieces.

“I find them so danceable. They are full of texture and really complex rhythms, which for me is incredibly exciting. I have studied the music scores for months now and have the music inside me. It is a challenge but one I am rising to at the moment. The dancers are loving the process and are flying with the high energy of the music. I hope to prove them wrong when it comes to undanceable!”

With Jeffery Rogador as fashion designer giving an urban mood to the dancers’ costumes, and Zeynep Kepekli as lighting designer focusing on black, silver and gold, the piece will bring contrasting music and shimmering aesthetics together in a bold performance.

The second piece performed, Richard Alston’s Carnaval, had its premier last September in Edinburgh and is danced to Schumann’s beautiful and evocative piano solo of the same name. Inspired by the personal life and mental health issues of the composer, two dancers represent his complicated relationship and depict the dual aspects of Schumann’s personality waltzing in beautiful flirtation.

The third piece, Gypsy Mixture, is being revived for the first time in a decade and merges flamenco with electronic music mixed by DJs and artists from around the world. The piece is an exciting performance made of exhilarating dancing full of leaps and shimmies that move to the music of Romanian and Macedonian gypsy bands.

Ticket offer for readers

The Norwich Theatre Royal is delighted to offer all Concrete readers £8 band A & B tickets on either Friday 2 or Saturday 3 February. The offer can be redeemed using the following code UEAALSTON when booking online www.theatreroyalnorwich. co.uk or via the Box Office on 01603 00 00. Offer applies to band A & B tickets on Friday 2 or Saturday 3 February at 7.30pm. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and does not apply to tickets already booked. Subject to availability.