Norwich Theatre Royal played host to The Russian State Ballet of Siberia this week. Led by Artistic Director Sergei Bobrov they performed the classics The Sleeping Beauty, The Nutcracker, and Swan Lake. Venue was there for Monday night’s performance of The Sleeping Beauty, a fairy tale immortalised by the animators of Disney, but first composed for ballet by Tchaikovsky in 1888. Since their first tour in 2002, the company has completed 12 UK tours and holds much international acclaim. From the opening it was obvious to Venue that their reputation is deserved.

Russian State Ballet And Orchestra Of Siberia: Swan Lake.

The opening prologue, in the palace of King Florestan (Alexander Kuimov), presented the audience with a sumptuous array of colour and frivolity as the fairy tale began to unfold. The costume and set design from Dmitry Tcherbadzhi was first class, a dazzling display of performers resplendent with enough sequins for Priscilla.

Princess Aurora (Elena Pogorelaya) and Prince Desire (Nikolai Chevychelov) were the lead dancers and simply stole the show. Both were a perfect harmony of grace and power, with leaps and lifts that left the audiences gasping with awe. They complimented each other well as the wholesome Prince and innocent Princess and received a standing ovation for their efforts.

Humour was brought to the performance in the guise of Evil Fairy Carabosse (Egor Osokin) whose carefully choreographed malevolence brought smiles with his lightness of touch. In fact he was almost the recognisable pantomime villain, reinforced with the audience ‘booing’ him at the curtain call, Venue just hopes it’s a tradition they’re familiar with in Siberia.

Overall it was a wonderfully enchanting performance, and save for a slight stumble, seemed faultless in its execution. The live orchestra added hugely to the overall atmosphere, and although one audience member was overheard saying that they sounded a little sharp, Venue largely suspects that she doesn’t know what she’s talking about. If you missed The Russian State Ballet of Siberia’s Norwich run this time around, be sure to